Academy of Chiropractic Personal Injury & Primary Spine Care Program
Quickie Consult 86
From the Desk of Dr. Mark Studin
Academy of Chiropractic
Preamble: Many of the issues I bring to you are very small, yet each issue is just that, an issue. If you take care of the small issues, then you will be able to build and more importantly, focus on the bigger issues...a larger practice and more family time.
Do you, or have you:
- call the lawyer after the first visit to inform him/her that you have evaluated his/her client and request an authorization to release the records in 6-8 weeks while telling him/her your treatment plan?
- gone through all of your previous records for the last 2 years, calling every lawyer of your past PI patients to see if the case is still active in his/her office? Then…get the patient in for a final evaluation and request a sit-down with the lawyer?
- completed your narrative critique process?
- completed your CV critique process?
- ensured that all 7 required components are on your CV: disc pathology, spine pathology, neuropathology, electrodiagnostics, MRI interpretation, crash dynamics and triaging the injured? If not, do you plan on getting the credentials or do you have a strong desire to be mediocre like everyone else in your community? There is a reason why some are more successful than others.
- created an automatic 6-8 week reporting system to the lawyers with the results of all evaluations and tests?
- understand the difference between disc bulge, herniation, extrusion, protrusion and sequestering?
- understand your goal is to get the lawyer to want to meet with you, including their staff, once per month, reviewing the 2 new educational fliers?
- read every consultation on the Internet…twice? Once to have it revealed and the next time to implement the changes, 1 session at a time?
- still talk too much to the patients or have you grasped the concept of “shutting up” to build your practice?
- educate your patients, understanding that the quickest way to double your practice is to double your PVA? The only way to double your PVA is through education. If your PVA is below 25, your practice is highly exposed to quick failure.
- had an audit to prevent writing a very big check to an insurance company in a retrospective audit? If you had a choice to do anything with the next $500 you spend, I would tell you to quit this program and get your practice audited by Dr. Schonfeld. I will help you grow your practice;he will help you keep it. He is more important. You can reach him at 516-695-7732.
- reached out to lawyers to sit with them, understanding thatevery doctor that has sat with a lawyer who followed the scripting and had their educational binders, CV’s and narratives prepared, has gotten a referral or promise of one to follow without ever asking.
- given a written report of findings using a DVD for 3rdparty validation?
- know bone scan technology and when to use it? The same for BAER, VEP and V-ENG?
- understand how to get orthopedists, neurologists and physiatrists to refer to you?
- take or order oblique x-ray views to visualize the foramen and pars, removing all guesswork that will eventually cause you to hurt someone and possibly lose your license?
- still use strain/sprain as a diagnosis?
- still write “Dr.” in front of your name and “DC” after your name, creating literary embarrassment for yourself?
- see the light?
PLEASE TAKE FURTHER NOTICE: CONFIDENTIALITY AND PROPRIETARY INFORMATION NOTICE: This email including attachments is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (18 U.S.C. 2510-2521) and contains confidential information belonging to the sender. Nothing contained in this message or in any attachment shall constitute an Electronic Signature or be given legal effect under 44 U.S.C. 3504 Sec. 1707. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are at this moment notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message or any attachments of this communications is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If this communication has been received in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email, and delete or destroy this and all copies of this message and all attachments.