Academy of Chiropractic Personal Injury & Primary Spine Care Program

Quickie Consult 816
Clinical Information 188 CI

From the Desk of Dr. Mark Studin
Academy of Chiropractic
Preamble: many of these issues are small, yet each issue is just that… an issue. If you take care of the small issues, then the larger issues often take care of themselves and you can focus on the larger issues… a larger, more profitable practice and more family time.

“Is Specific Adjusting Beneficial?”

“My team is who I choose both professionally and personally” Mark Studin 2017


After almost 40 years in the profession I have had the privilege of studying with many of the “masters” in our profession regarding technique. I have worked with Richard Van Rumpt, Verne Pearce, Glenn Stillwagon, Major Betrand DeJarnette, Tom Whitehorn and many others who are no longer with us, in addition to the ones who are still teaching. In learning from these masters of our profession along with contemporary technique programs, of which there are many “clinically excellent” programs to choose from most give you feedback mechanisms to become very specific in where to adjust your patient. Perhaps the most specific model I have encountered is one created by Dr. Ray Wiegand from Spine Metrics in St. Louis. Dr. Wiegand has spent 40 years perfecting a reproducible, predictable model to find the specific bio-neuro-mechanical lesion (vertebral subluxation) and he has been published multiple times in scholarly journals to validate his methods and results. 
 
Despite my training, research and affiliations, I am NOT a very specific adjustor and I get what I consider excellent results. Why? Reed and Pickar (2015) reported in an animal study “that whereas L6 muscle spindle response decreases with L4 HVLA-SM, 60% to 80% of an L6 HVLA-SM muscle spindle response is still elicited from an HVLA-SM-delivered 2 segments away in both the absence and presence of intervertebral joint fixation. These findings may have clinical implications concerning specific (targeted) versus nonspecific (nontargeted) HVLA-SMs… The finding that nontarget HVLA-SM delivered 2 segments away elicited significantly less, yet a substantial percentage (60%–80%) of the neural response elicited during target HVLA-SM may have important clinical implications with regard to HVLA-SM thrust accuracy/specificity requirements. It may explain how target versus nontarget site manual therapy interventions can show similar clinical efficacy.” (this research and the citations can be read in the American Chiropractor July's edition)
 
This explained why I got excellent results, however I have had colleagues that got better results. The tradeoff is time. I choose to focus on getting the 80% better and referred the other 20% out to those who didn’t respond as expected to those DC’s who spend the time in being very specific. For me, that was a fair trade off as the numbers verified that I helped more people in that paradigm because of the time factor.
 
You get to choose how you practice, however whatever you choose the patients win at least 80% of the time, which is a great statistic. If you practice in my paradigm, just ensure you have team of very specific adjustors in your region to work with so that the other 20% have an opportunity to get well if you are not reluctant to work with your team of chiropractic specialists. 

 
 
Respectfully,



Mark Studin DC, FASBE(C), DAAPM, DAAMLP

Adjunct Associate Professor of Chiropractic, University of Bridgeport, College of Chiropractic
Adjunct Professor, Division of Clinical Sciences, Texas Chiropractic College
Educational Presenter, Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education Joint Partnership with the State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences

Academy of Chiropractic
US Chiropractic Directory
631-786-4253
PLEASE TAKE FURTHER NOTICE: CONFIDENTIALITY AND PROPRIETARY INFORMATION NOTICE:  This email including attachments is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (18 U.S.C. 2510-2521) and contains confidential information belonging to the sender.  Nothing contained in this message or in any attachment shall constitute an Electronic Signature or be given legal effect under 44 U.S.C. 3504 Sec. 1707.  The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If the recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are at this moment notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message or any attachments of this communications is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If this communication has been received in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email, and delete or destroy this and all copies of this message and all attachments.