Academy of Chiropractic Personal Injury & Primary Spine Care Program
Quickie Consult 592
Clinical Information 108 I
From the Desk of Dr. Mark Studin
Academy of Chiropractic
Preamble: many of these issues I bring are small, yet each issue is just that… an issue. If you take care of the small issues, then you will be able to build and focus on the larger issues… a larger, more profitable practice along with more family time.
Technology runs our lives and no matter how much you fight it, you have to realize the “train is moving” whether you are on it or not. Therefore, if you are good at technology, get better and if you are afraid of it, “suck it up” and learn. In addition, many of you like me have IT people that support your technology needs, however you must know more than the bare basics to stay current and not spend a fortune on simple tasks that you can accomplish with ease unless your cash flow mandates that you have close to a full time technology person “in-house.”
As a result, the following recommendations are strongly suggested:
1. Any computer over 3 years old must be thrown out. The technology has changed so much that you can’t stay competitive and process much of today’s information appropriately.
2. In buying new computers, I would stay away from Mac’s because they cannot support too many business programs. A simple example is they do not support Flash, a video technology that is only good on PC’s. In addition, you need to get a computer with at least 12 GB of RAM as today’s programs require a lot of internal memory to support contemporary programs. My computer has 32GB of RAM.
3. Any computer that has Windows XP MUST be thrown out
4. Your download speed must be at least 25mbs and your upload speed must be over 15mbs. Mine is slow and I am at 85mbs both upload and download. Go to www.speedtest.net to check yours. If it is slow, call your company and get an upgrade. It is very inexpensive.
5. Update your computer drivers every 6 months. These are the software programs that run your video card, the information processor, printers and a host of other functions to keep you running. The manufacturer realizes that in order to keep up with technology requirements and bugs, they offer FREE updates. Every computer has dozens of components that need periodic updates. I just updated my laptop because it wasn’t working properly to the point where I couldn’t use it and it needed 41 driver updates. If you have a Dell and the computer is under warrantee, they have a free utility that detects and updates your drivers upon request. Other manufacturers have the same. My laptop was out of warrantee so I purchased a program from www.driverupdate.com and updated my computer. It cost me $27.95 for a single computer, but now it works seamlessly and my laptop is only 18 months old... but be careful because they send you other offers that you don’t need…Only use the driver update.
Being successful means staying current and changing with the times… My 85 year old father still does all of his own computer updates and manages his system… You can too J
Mark Studin DC, FASBE(C), DAAPM, DAAMLP
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Chiropractic, University of Bridgeport, College of Chiropractic
Adjunct Professor, Division of Clinical Sciences, Texas Chiropractic College
Educational Presenter, Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education Joint Partnership with the State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
Academy of Chiropractic
US Chiropractic Directory
PLEASE TAKE FURTHER NOTICE: CONFIDENTIALITY AND PROPRIETARY INFORMATION NOTICE: This email including attachments is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (18 U.S.C. 2510-2521) and contains confidential information belonging to the sender. Nothing contained in this message or in any attachment shall constitute an Electronic Signature or be given legal effect under 44 U.S.C. 3504 Sec. 1707. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are at this moment notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message or any attachments of this communications is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If this communication has been received in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email, and delete or destroy this and all copies of this message and all attachments.