Academy of Chiropractic Personal Injury & Primary Spine Care Program
Quickie Consult 132
From the Desk of Dr. Mark Studin
Academy of Chiropractic
Preamble: Many of the issues I bring to you are very small, yet each issue is just that, an issue. If you take care of the small issues, then you will be able to build and more importantly, focus on the bigger issues...a larger practice and more family time.
“6 Tidbits of Success & Failure” The Choice is Yours
- Make the lawyer happy. Work really hard to find something wrong with your patient or he/she will not work with you anymore. I hear this every day, “What do I do? There is nothing wrong with my patient.” Guess what? There is nothing wrong. That is the reason you package up all of the findings at the 6-8 week period and sit with the lawyer. Do you know how much money you are saving the lawyer with the truth? We do not pander to the lawyer; we are honest and up font…and if he/she doesn’t like it…FIRE the lawyer from your practice.
- In your treatment plans, there are still gaping holes in the orders. This is the surest way to get out that pen and start writing checks to insurance companies in repayments from retrospective reviews. Do you have an order for x-rays, for your care, for a re-evaluation, for hot packs, ice packs, stim, etc.? Everything needs an order or they will order you to pay them back, often treble-fold in RICO charges.
- Keep trying to sell the bulge as a post-traumatic finding. Keep telling lawyers that lateral bulges are degenerative. Keep reporting that a protrusion is an incidental finding. Keep believing everything the general radiologist reports on the findings of the MRI. Eventually, it will cost you more than you can imagine. When you learn to read your own films and become the true expert, incredible things will happen to your practice. Until then, you will be a second class expert and forever running after lawyers. You need to BE THE EXPERT.
- Stop asking for referrals and start asking for the opportunity to educate. That is what the lawyers need and by fulfilling that need, you become one of them. They should clamor for your information if you position yourself properly. By positioning yourself as the expert, you are on the inside with them, instead of looking at them from the outside. Once in, the rest becomes easy. You will never have to ask for a referral again.
- Educate, educate, educate. That is the secret to a growing practice. It is much easier to double your practice by increasing your PVA than doubling your new patients.
- NEWS FLASH!!! Fancy dinners and ballgames work…after you have your infrastructure down, you are the true expert and you are on the inside educating the lawyer. Then they will work because the lawyers already want you. This is where you solidify the relationships.
PLEASE TAKE FURTHER NOTICE: CONFIDENTIALITY AND PROPRIETARY INFORMATION NOTICE: This email including attachments is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (18 U.S.C. 2510-2521) and contains confidential information belonging to the sender. Nothing contained in this message or in any attachment shall constitute an Electronic Signature or be given legal effect under 44 U.S.C. 3504 Sec. 1707. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are at this moment notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message or any attachments of this communications is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If this communication has been received in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email, and delete or destroy this and all copies of this message and all attachments.